STRATEGIC VISION, MISSION STATEMENT
PURPOSE AND GOALS
The future of humankind is directly dependent on the ocean resources.
We need a healthy ocean to benefit from these resources as the world ocean is the life support system of the planet. Aquariums have to consider the future of humanity and the earth through the ocean.
To preserve the ocean resources we need more knowledge, more science, and more education.
The Aquariums have a unique role to play in this field because they are the necessary link between science, politicians, media, decision makers, and the general public.
The aquariums must work to effect a significant transformation in human behavior to ensure a sustainable relationship with the earth’s natural ecosystems and the survival of our civilization as we know it.
Towards this end, public aquariums worldwide should increase their efforts in the following areas:
Public aquariums have a greater role than ever to play in advancing and promoting global conservation of aquatic ecosystems.
- Focus not only on nature but also on human activities that affect global aquatic ecosystems.
- Inspire, engage and empower our audiences to become better stewards of aquatic environments, with special focus on concrete actions that people can take in their everyday lives
- Ensure our institutional management practices are sustainable both commercially and environmentally.
- Improve worldwide communication among public aquarium professionals in order to strengthen capacity building, promote sustainable practices and conserve global aquatic ecosystems.
- Promote technology and expertise exchange among aquariums to provide the best possible environments in our aquariums.
- Raise public awareness about the need for conservation.
- Sustain, encourage and participate in global initiatives for species and habitat conservation
- Establish coordinated sustainable species programs and participate in captive breeding with special emphasis on the threatened species.
- Provide good guidance in planning and operating aquariums for sustainability.
- Initiate and actively support educational endeavors both within its premises and in outreach programs.
- Welcome, support and conduct scientific research both within its premises and in outreach programs
- Contribute to a free and open flow of information and communicate with fellow aquarium personnel.
- Assist fellow institutions in their efforts in the application of this mission statement.
- Preserve the interests of the profession